Ginger Cookies with Lemon Glaze DIY Hostess Gifts
Makes 6 Gifts
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for rolling cookies
3 tablespoons molasses
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Thin grosgrain ribbon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and molasses and beat until incorporated.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg. On low speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture and blend just until combined.
3. Shape dough into walnut sized balls and roll in granulated sugar. Place 2" apart on a baking sheet lined with Silpat or parchment paper and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to cooling racks placed over parchment paper or cookie sheets.
4. While cookies are cooling, blend powdered sugar, water, lemon juice and lemon zest until smooth. Add more water if needed to make a thin glaze. Drizzle glaze over cooled cookies and let dry.
5. Once glaze has hardened, stack cookies in jars and seal. Decorate with ribbon and spun cotton mushrooms.